Arthouse Asia Film Festival is an indian annual breeding space of independent filmmakers that has created in 2017 and takes place each year early january. Over the years independent filmmaking has changed a lot, asian independent filmmaking market is increasing steadily. The Past has taught us « United we stand, divide we fall ».
Arthouse Asia FF is an effort to unite worldwide independent filmmakers in a single platform. We know the path is not an easy way but we believe independent filmmaking is the true way of practicing art through filmmaking medium. The studio system is a money generating system, it does not allow experimentation as it always tends to follow the already established monetary model.
So we believe independent filmmaking is the future of filmmaking.
by Shapath Das, director of the A2F2.
The idea of a new professional industry event came up naturally last year in 2018. French Produire au Sud workshops expertise could be the right label to help film writers and producers to get new partners, new options for their film development.Besides the aim to enlarge the Arthouse Asia Film Festival professional proposals to regional professionals, the idea of sucha workshop is to create a vibrating and efficient place within the region to help film professionals to meet all together and to facilitate and fasten collaborations and potential co-productions.
In almost all South Asian countries there is no support infrastructure to support Arthouse filmmaking, neither in terms of funding nor in terms of training of film writers and producers.
– Produire Au Sud workshop on screenwriting and development, which will be of international standard, will expose and sharpen filmmakers of South Asia
– Produire Au Sud workshop on producing and co-production will lead South Asian producers to a vista of international film markets. Producers in the mentioned regime has no such high level experience, training or knowledge.
– Produire Au Sud workshop in collaboration with Arthouse Asia FF, 2020 can be a great kick-start towards a new era of filmmaking in South Asia, where there are immense talents, culturally rich storytellers.
– Produire Au Sud workshop will open up possibilities to explore newer genre, newer narratives to put upfront of the world scenario of Arthouse films.
– Produire Au Sud workshop 2020 is a big step towards challenging the present hierarchical structure where films are being made in hardcore business model compromised in artistic freedom.
– Produire Au Sud workshop 2020 will be a first step to provide confidence to the South Asian filmmakers to make world class films and as well place them in the market so they sustain and gain conviction towards making their next art.
– Produire Au Sud workshop in Kolkata will be a new platform and regime for Produire Au Sud to work on and exploring possibilities of their newer ways to put hands on as South Asia is densely populated area with highly enthusiasm and potential.
The ambition of this regional workshop is for participants to gain knowledge of the techniques and tools of international film coproduction through a logic of individual assistance to projects in the development stage, to help them master the issues at stake in international coproduction and the international market and to lay sustainable foundations of film cooperation between European professionals and professionals from the countries of the South Asia.
The Arthouse PAS Kolkata workshop is a joined initiative by A2F2 of Kolkata and Produire au Sud workshop from 3 Continents FF, and supported by French Institute and French Embassy in India (represented by french audiovisual attache Pierre Laburthe) and French Alliance in Kolkata.
The film directors and producers from the following countries are invited to submit their film project:
India, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Buthan, Nepal, SriLanka, Maldives.
Each applicant has to follow the rules of the PAS regulations before submitting their project online, also to check detailed conditions for participation. Check the regulations –> HERE
6 filmmaker/producer teams, identified through professional partners of the regions concerned will be invited to Kolkata to participate in this five-day workshop, from the selection of their fiction feature film under development. The Produire au Sud workshop will be run by international professionals:
– Juliette Grandmont, french producer (Clandestine Films)
– Clément Duboin, french producer (Good Fortune Films)
– Stefano Tealdi (Stefilm), italian producer
– Gualberto Ferrari, argentinian/italian script consultant
– Jérémie Dubois, french script consultant
– Pascale Ramonda (Pascale Ramonda), international distributor for festivals
Training staff will be composed by producers, distributors, international sales people, scriptwriters, chosen from among the experts and consultants familiar with Produire au Sud, and from other Arthouse Asia professional partners who share its approach.
5 days of intensive training which will conclude with a public presentation of the projects in front of a panel of indian and foreign producers, of distributors and managers of regional funds.
Dates and submissions for 2020 workshop
The workshop will be held in Kolkata January 7-11, 2020.
Opening of the call for entries : 2019, May 20
Deadline of the call for entries : 2019, October 15
Announcement of the selection : late october 2019
Before applying please check our regulations –> REGULATIONS
To submit your film project –> APPLICATION FORM
Executive director of Produire au Sud workshop
tel : + 33(0)2 40 69 74 14
Skype ID : wilhelmainguet
Director of Arthouse Asia Film Festival